INTRODUCED IN APRIL 2009 AT THE NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW AND AVAILABLE AT DEALERSHIPS LATER THIS SUMMER, THE 2010 LEGACY MAKES ADVANCES AS THE INTELLIGENTLY ENGINEERED, THOUGHTFULLY EQUIPPED, AND DYNAMIC-DRIVING MID-SIZE SEDAN FROM SUBARU.
In the all-new Legacy, Subaru offers a range of models to suit the various needs of sedan owners. Legacy models range from efficient to all-out performance vehicles – all with contemporary technology and modern convenience features.
WALK AROUND THE SPORTY SIDE
The new Legacy appears more aggressive – recalling its four generations of performance heritage in rally and road racing. Contributing to its aggressive look are its headlights, upswept character line along the sides, pronounced wheel arches, and aerodynamic side ground effects. These styling cues also emphasize the Legacy sedans larger size.
How much larger? Exterior dimensions show wheelbase, height, and width to be greater – each by more than three inches. Track dimensions are wider, too – 2.7 inches in front and 3.3 inches in back – contributing to improved handling characteristics.
The increased exterior size results in greater interior dimensions. Passenger volume and trunk cargo area have grown by 9 and 29 percent, respectively. (Find a select dimensions comparison chart below.)
All this was accomplished with little increase in curb weight (63 pounds maximum per model). Credit intelligent engineering and the increased use of lightweight, high-strength steel.
In addition, the 2010 Legacy body benefits from improved isolation from road noise, increased window and door sealing, upgraded engine mounting, and other initiatives. These resulted in lower interior noise and vibration – giving the new Legacy a quieter, more comfortable ride.
Mechanical features familiar to Subaru drivers include the 2.5-liter four-cylinder SUBARU BOXER engine – both non-turbocharged and turbocharged with intercooling and Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (AWD). However, many mechanical changes and upgrades for 2010 impact the Legacy drivetrain. These are just a few.
Lineartronic™ CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
Available on 2.5i models, Lineartronic CVT operates smoothly and efficiently. Instead of gears, CVT utilizes a pair of pulleys and a metal link belt to transfer power through an infinite range of ratios. The system saves fuel (23 mpg city/31 mpg highway1), enhances acceleration, and contributes to passenger comfort. (Read more here.)
Six-Speed Manual Transmission
All Legacy models with manual transmissions have six speeds. The lightweight, cable-actuated, six-speed manual adds a fun-to-drive factor, plus its revised gearing contributes to fuel efficiency.
2.5L Turbocharged and Intercooled Four-Cylinder SUBARU BOXER Engine
A number of revisions contribute to the horsepower increase from 243 to 265:
- The turbocharger was relocated next to the exhaust manifold for quicker response
- The intercooler core was increased 25 percent
- New Electronic Throttle Control
- Dual Active Valve Control System intake- and exhaust-valve timing replaces AVCS (See Winter 2005 Drive for more on AVCS.)
- New exhaust system design
3.6L Six-Cylinder SUBARU BOXER Engine
The 3.6L is the same engine that powers the Tribeca. Using regular fuel, it develops 256 horsepower and 247 lb-ft of torque.
Five-Speed Automatic Transmission
Introduced on Legacy in 2008, this second-generation five-speed automatic is almost 10 pounds lighter than the one it replaces. One of its features is automatic throttle blipping when downshifting using SPORTSHIFT2 – automatically matching engine speed with road speed. Downshift control logic is improved for 2010. (See Fall 2007 Drive for more information.)
THOUGHTFULLY EQUIPPED INTERIOR
The all-new Legacy interior complements its exterior design with refined styling. Trim and textures demonstrate attention to detail and quality. Control placement and operation are intuitive, with displays placed on the dash with the most frequently used on top.
Standard and optional interior features enhancing occupant comfort and convenience include:
- Electronic parking brake with Hill Holder® system function; in automatic mode, it releases with gas-pedal operation and engages when the vehicle stops on a 5 percent or greater incline
- Tilt and telescoping steering column
- Steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise control switches
- Automatic headlights
- Auto-up drivers window
- Center console with 12-volt power outlets and enclosed storage compartment
- Eight cupholders
- 10-way power drivers seat
- 4-way power front passengers seat
- All-Weather Package, which includes windshield wiper de-icer, heated side mirrors, and heated front seats
CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF THE LEGACY SEDAN
The introduction of the fifth-generation Legacy falls during the vehicles 20th anniversary celebration. Still true to its roots, Legacy gives us more for 2010 – more intelligent engineering, dynamic driving, and thoughtful equipment. This is only a brief overview of the all-new Legacy. Find information and images from its introduction at the New York International Auto Show below. Also, watch www.subaru.com for more news.
Subaru took advantage of the advances in electronics, offering these standard and optional systems, depending on model:
- 4-speaker audio system with SRS(•)® CS Auto3 (audio enhancement system), single-disc in-dash CD player and MP3/WMA/AAC capability
- 9-speaker harman/kardon®4 premium audio system with 440-watt amplifier, subwoofer, 6-disc in-dash CD changer and MP3/WMA capability
- Voice-activated, 8-inch high-resolution touch-screen GPS navigation system and single-disc CD/DVD player5 with Bluetooth®6 wireless phone
- Auxiliary audio jack
- XM®7 or SIRIUS®8 Satellite Radio capability9
- Bluetooth wireless phone and audio capability (Fall 2009 Drive will have an article about Bluetooth.)
1 EPA estimated fuel mileage. Actual mileage may vary.
2 SPORTSHIFT is a registered trademark of Prodrive, Ltd.
3 SRS(•)® and Circle Surround Automotive (CS Auto) are registered trademarks of SRS Labs, Inc.
4 harman/kardon is a registered trademark of Harman International Industries, Inc.
5 With vehicle stopped and parking brake engaged.
6 Bluetooth is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.
7 XM is a registered trademark of XM Satellite Radio, Inc.
8 Sirius is a trademark of Sirius Satellite Radio, Inc.
9 Available as an accessory. See your dealer. Satellite radio hardware and required monthly subscription sold separately.
SELECT 2010 VS. 2009 MODEL YEAR LEGACY DIMENSIONS
|Overall length (in)||186.4||185.0||+1.4|
|Overall width (in)||71.7||68.1||+3.51|
|Overall height (in)||59.3||56.1||+3.31|
|Track – front/rear (in)||61.6/61.8||58.9/58.5||+2.7/+3.3|
|Passenger volume (cu ft)||103.0||93.5||+9.5|
|Trunk volume (cu ft)||14.7||11.4||+3.3|
|Total volume (cu ft)||117.7||104.9||+12.8|
|Headroom – front/rear (in)||40.3/37.5||39.5/36.5||+0.8/+1.0|
|Legroom – front/rear (in)||43.0/37.8||44.1/33.9||-1.1/+3.9|
1 Mathematical discrepencies rounded to nearest tenth.
AT-A-GLANCE 2010 SUBARU LEGACY
2.5i • 2.5i Premium • 2.5i Limited • 2.5GT Premium • 2.5GT Limited • 3.6R • 3.6R Premium • 3.6R Limited
- All-new, fifth generation of midsize All-Wheel Drive sport sedan model line with range-topping new Legacy 3.6R models.
- Roomiest Legacy ever, built on an all-new platform with longer wheelbase and increased width for greater interior room.
- Bold new design featuring more upright grille with Subarus winged badge as the focal point, accentuated by dramatic hawk-eye headlamps.
- Eight Legacy models for 2010 – three 4-cyl. 2.5i models, two turbocharged 2.5GT models and three 6-cyl. 3.6R models.
Whats New for 2010
- Midsize package: 103 cu. ft. passenger space is among best in class; rear seat legroom increased by 3.9 inches over previous model.
- New powertrains, including a revised 170-hp 2.5-liter 4-cyl. Boxer engine, revised 265-hp turbo/intercooled 2.5 Boxer, and a new 256-hp 3.6-liter, regular-fuel 6-cyl. Boxer.
- Standard 6-speed manual transmission and available Lineartronic™ CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) for Legacy 2.5i models; 2.5GT models is only available with 6-speed manual transmission.
- New double-wishbone rear suspension and other chassis enhancements deliver smoothest, quietest ride ever in a Legacy, still with sharp handling reflexes.
- Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system standard on all models.
- Brake Assist safety feature standard.
- Limited models offer available new voice-activated GPS navigation system with rear backup camera, hands-free Bluetooth, USB/iPod input and streaming Bluetooth audio.
- High-performance audio system with harman-kardon® speakers standard on Limited and available for Premium models.
- Electric parking brake with Incline Start Assist function.
- Tilt/telescope steering wheel standard on all models.
- Steering wheel audio and cruise control switches standard on all models.
- 65/35 split fold-down rear seat with armrest.
- Ambient overhead console lighting.
- Naturally aspirated 2.5-liter Boxer engine is PZEV-certified.
- Three types of Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive featured across Legacy line: 2.5i and 2.5GT models with 6-speed manual transmission use a viscous-coupling locking center differential to distribute the power 50:50 front to rear; Legacy 2.5i models with continuously variable transmission (CVT) use an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch to actively control power distribution in response to driving conditions. Legacy 3.6R models use Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) system, which normally sends more power to the rear wheels to enhance handling agility and continuously adjusts power distribution in response to driving and road conditions.
- Standard front seat side-impact airbags, side curtain airbags and intelligent dual-stage deployment front airbags.
|Legacy 2.5i models||SOHC H4, 2.5-liter|
|Horsepower||170 hp @ 5,600 rpm|
|Torque||170 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm|
|Transmission||6-speed manual or CVT|
|Legacy 2.5GT models||DOHC H4, 2.5-liter, turbo/intercooled|
|Horsepower||265 hp @ 5,600 rpm|
|Torque||258 lb.-ft. @ 2,000-5,200 rpm|
|Legacy 3.6R models||DOHC H6, 3.6-liter|
|Horsepower||256 hp @ 6,000 rpm|
|Torque||247 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm|
Key Standard Features
- 6-speed manual transmission
- 16-in. wheels with 205/60R16 tires
- 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS and Brake Assist
- 65/35 split fold-down rear seat with armrest
- 3-spoke steering wheel with integral audio and cruise control switches
- AM/FM stereo with single-disc in-dash CD player, RDS and aux. input jack
- Air conditioning
- Ambient overhead console lighting
- Combination digital clock and trip computer, including outside temperature display
- Cruise control
- Front seat side-impact airbags and side curtain airbags
- Height-adjustable drivers seat
- Power door locks and power mirrors
- Power windows with drivers auto-down
- Remote keyless entry system with integrated ignition key
- Tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC)
2.5i Premium adds:
- 8-way power drivers seat
- 16-in. alloy wheels
- Chrome exhaust tip
- Drivers window with auto up/down
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
Optional for 2.5i Premium:
- Power moonroof
- All Weather Package (heated front seats, windshield wiper de-icer, heated side mirrors)
- AM/FM 6-CD stereo with RDS, aux. input, hands-free Bluetooth with steering wheel switches and 9 harman-kardon speakers
Legacy 2.5i Limited adds over 2.5i Premium:
- 4-way power passenger seat
- 17 in. alloy wheels
- All-Weather Package
- Lineartronic™ CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system
- Leather-trimmed upholstery
- Upgraded audio (see optional Premium system)
Optional for 2.5i Limited:
- Power moonroof
- Voice-activated GPS navigation system with backup camera, iPod/USB input, Bluetooth and streaming Bluetooth audio
Legacy 2.5GT Premium adds to 2.5i Premium:
- 265-hp turbo engine
- 18 in. alloy wheels with 225/45R18 tires
- Functional hood scoop
- All-Weather Package
Options: power moonroof and upgraded audio (see 2.5i Premium)
2.5GT Limited adds to 2.5GT Premium:
- 4-way power passenger seat
- Dual-zone automatic climate control system
- Leather-trimmed upholstery
Options: same as 2.5i Limited
3.6R adds to 2.5i:
- 17-in. alloy wheels with 225/50R17 tires
- 256-hp 6-cyl. engine and 5-speed auto. trans. with SPORTSHIFT
3.6R Premium adds to 3.6R:
- 8-way power drivers seat
- All-Weather Package
- Auto up/down drivers window
- Chrome exhaust tip
Optional for 3.6R Premium:
- Power moonroof
- Upgraded audio with harman-kardon speakers and Bluetooth (see 2.5i Premium)
3.6R Limited adds to 3.6R Premium:
- Leather upholstery
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- 4-way power passenger seat
Options: Same as 2.5i Limited
Specifications and listed equipment are preliminary and subject to change.
SUBARU TO INTRODUCE ALL-NEW 2010 LEGACY AT NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
- Roomiest Legacy Ever with New Level of Comfort, Quiet and Refinement
- Bold New Design Stands Apart from Mainstream Midsize Sedans
- New 6-speed Manual and CVT Transmissions for Legacy 2.5i Models
- 2.5GT Models Gain 265-hp Turbo Engine and 6-Speed Transmission
- New Legacy 3.6R Models Featuring More Powerful 6-Cylinder Engine
NEW YORK, March 31, 2009 – Subaru of America, Inc. today announced that the all-new 2010 Legacy® sedan will debut at the New York International Auto Show, providing a bolder design language in a larger midsize package. The 2010 Legacy, whose predecessor is renowned for its sporty handling and reliability, now features a longer wheelbase, almost four inches of extra rear seat legroom and a new powertrain lineup featuring the new Subaru Lineartronic™ CVT (continuously variable transmission).
The 2010 Legacy is built on a new platform that increases room and comfort while preserving the agility and fun-to-drive spirit of the previous model. New powertrains and new suspension design combine with proven Subaru safety technology to deliver a unique offering in the midsize segment. As are all Subaru models, every Legacy is equipped as standard with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, an invaluable performance- and safety-enhancing system that sets Legacy apart among midsize sedans. All-wheel drive is rare in the midsize segment, and only Legacy makes it standard.
The Legacy line for 2010 will offer three levels of performance. Legacy 2.5i models – 2.5i, 2.5i Premium and 2.5i Limited – are powered by a revised 170-hp 2.5-liter 4-cylinder Boxer engine (with available PZEV rating) and equipped with a new standard 6-speed manual transmission or the new Lineartronic™ CVT. Both transmissions help to improve acceleration, response and fuel economy.
The Legacy 2.5GT models make a leap in performance for 2010. Both the 2.5GT Premium and 2.5GT Limited models are powered by a new 265-hp turbocharged / intercooled Boxer engine. The new engine features a unique turbocharger that is mounted below the engine. This new location not only contributes to smooth turbocharger response and improved emissions, but also lowers the cars center of gravity. In the Legacy 2.5GT models, this high-performance engine is mated with a new 6-speed manual transmission. Designed for the discerning enthusiast, the Legacy 2.5GT models are equipped to challenge some of the best names in the sport sedan field.
Three new Legacy 3.6R models – the 3.6R, 3.6R Premium and 3.6R Limited – offer a sophisticated blend of performance and comfort. All are powered by a new 256-hp 3.6-liter 6-cylinder Boxer engine matched to a 5-speed electronic automatic transmission. Compared to the 3.0-liter 6-cylinder engine it replaces, the more powerful 3.6 has the same external size and uses regular-grade fuel, rather than premium as the 3.0 required.
Bold Design Statement in the Midsize Arena
The 2010 Legacy, while rivaling midsize segment leaders in roominess, stands apart with a bold, high-tech look. The Subaru badge centers the new grille, which features a squared off lower edge. Character lines arc from the grille and form power bulges on the hood and taper off into the A-pillar. The sleek silhouette incorporates a larger greenhouse, and a shorter deck gives the vehicle a sporty look. Powerful wheel arches echo the power running through the Symmetrical AWD System. A range of new wheel cover- and alloy-wheel designs also debut on the 2010 Legacy, with the 2.5GT models featuring 18-in. alloy wheels and low-profile tires. A functional hood scoop directs air to the engine-mounted intercooler.
Besting Midsize Benchmarks
Built on an all-new platform, the 2010 Legacy offers roominess comparable to mainstream midsize sedans, with a focus on usable space and long-distance driving comfort. The wheelbase grows to 108.3-in., a 3.2-in. increase over the previous Legacy. The 2010 Legacy provides nearly four inches of additional rear legroom, which is enhanced by the scalloped back design of the new front seats.
The new Legacy is 3.2-in. higher and 3.6-in. wider than the previous model, yielding gains in head, shoulder and hip room. The 2010 Legacy offers more total passenger room (103 cu. ft.) than many competitors. The new-generation Legacy also offers one of the largest trunks (14.7 cu. ft.) in the segment – a significant achievement considering that the cars design requires packaging a rear differential and drive axles. Overall vehicle length is up by just 1.4-in. (now 186.4 in.), but overhang dimensions are reduced compared with the previous model. The 2010 Legacy interior is not only more spacious than before, but takes another step up in refinement from an already-praised design in the previous model. The sporty four-dial instrument panel is augmented in all Legacy models by a multi-information display with trip computer located in the center of the dashboard. Richer looking appointments and details abound, including a sporty 3-spoke steering wheel (leather-wrapped in all but the base 2.5i). A new electronic parking brake – with an electronic Hill Holder System – eliminates the traditional parking brake handle, freeing up space in the center console.
Confident, Agile Handling and Safety for any Road ... or any Weather
The new Legacy improves crash-worthiness and provides a stiffer platform for a smoother, quieter ride – but retains the crisp handling and balance Subarus are known for. Legacy 2.5i and 2.5i Premium models feature 16-in. wheels (alloy on Premium); the 2.5GT models are exclusively equipped with 18-in. alloy wheels with 225/45R18 tires. The 6-cylinder Legacy 3.6R models have 17-in. alloy wheels with 225/50R17 tires.
All Legacy models for 2010 are equipped as standard with Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC), which combines stability and traction control capability. All 2010 Legacy models are equipped with a standard 4-wheel disc Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD). Additionally, Subarus Brake Assist safety system is available on all models.
MacPherson-type strut front suspension is mounted to a new engine cradle, and the engine is attached to the cradle using new hydraulic mounts. The new cradle uses high-strength steel and is designed to also enhance frontal crash protection. A new double-wishbone rear suspension, mounted to a sub frame, replaces the previous multi-link configuration to provide improved ride, stability and handling. The enhancement of body rigidity and the new suspension design help to reduce levels of noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). Increased wheel travel and optimized suspension geometry also contribute to improved ride comfort.
New Level of Comfort and Convenience in All Models
Standard comfort and available amenities are increased across the Legacy line for 2010. The base 2.5i model, for example, features standard steering wheel audio and cruise control buttons, a 65/35 split fold-down rear seat, new electronic parking brake, automatic lights-on function, ambient overhead console lighting and an available iPod jack. The all-new electronic Hill Holder System holds the vehicle in place until the driver applies the throttle to pull away from a stop. Previous versions of this system only held the car for a few seconds.
Legacy Premium models add more amenities, including an 8-way power drivers seat with power lumbar support adjustment and drivers auto up/down window. The Premium models also offer additional comfort and convenience options, including a harman-kardon® audio system, a power moonroof, and the All-Weather Package that adds heated front seats and mirrors and a windshield wiper de-icer.
The Legacy Limited models feature leather upholstery, dual zone automatic climate control and a 4-way power front passenger seat. The Limited models exclusively offer an available voice-activated GPS navigation system with an 8-in. LCD display and rear-view backup camera, hands-free Bluetooth® connectivity and streaming Bluetooth audio.
Revised 2.5-liter Boxer Engine with New 6-Speed Manual or CVT
The 2010 Legacy 2.5i models are powered by a revised 2.5-liter 4-cylinder Boxer engine, teamed for the first time to a new 6-speed manual transmission or the available new Lineartronic™ CVT. The CVT is standard in the Legacy 2.5i Limited, where it is also equipped with a manual mode and steering wheel paddle shifters.
The 2.5-liter engine, which is available as PZEV-certified, is modified for 2010 to improve performance, responsiveness, and economy. The engine delivers 170 horsepower @ 5,600 rpm and 170 lb.-ft. of peak torque @ 4,000 rpm. The i-Active Valve Lift System (AVLS) ensures a broad torque curve and smooth response at all engine speeds, while also helping to improve fuel efficiency. All Legacy models for 2010 feature a larger fuel tank, now 18.5 gallons vs. 16.9 gallons in the previous model, to extend driving range.
Whether teamed to the new 6-speed manual transmission or the Lineartronic™ CVT, the roomier 2010 Legacy provides quicker acceleration and lower fuel consumption than comparable 2009 Legacy models. Either transmission helps make the Legacy more responsive in everyday driving.
Subaru has adopted a chain-type CVT, the worlds first longitudinally mounted CVT system for AWD production vehicles. It employs smaller pulley cores, which helps make the unit compact and can help provide better fuel efficiency compared to belt-type CVTs. Unlike a conventional automatic transmission, which uses fixed gear ratios, a CVT provides infinite variability between the highest and lowest available ratios with no discernable steps or shifts. The CVT continuously and smoothly adapts to performance demand, helping to keep the engine in its most efficient operating range. Because a CVT does not shift gears, the driver enjoys smoother performance in all driving situations. The selectable manual mode of the Lineartronic™ CVT uses six pre-selected steps to allow the driver to shift manually using steering wheel paddle controls.
Legacy 2.5GT: 265 Turbocharged Horses
The new-generation Legacy 2.5GT models get a significant boost in performance from the revised 2.5-liter turbocharged / intercooled engine (based on the Impreza WRX engine) teamed to a new standard 6-speed manual transmission. Notably, the new 6-speed is more than 50 pounds lighter than the 6-speed unit used in the 2009 Legacy 2.5GT spec.B.
A larger turbocharger increases boost, and a new exhaust uses a low-density catalyst for reduced backpressure. To improve weight distribution and help lower the center of gravity, the turbocharger is now mounted below the engine. With 265 horsepower and 258 lb.-ft. of peak torque (compared to 243 hp and 241 lb.-ft. in the previous 2.5GT models), the 2010 Legacy 2.5GT models can accelerate from zero to 60 mph in under six seconds.
3.6-liter H6 Engine: Premium Performance with Regular-Grade Fuel
The new 3.6-liter H6 engine replaces the previous 3.0-liter H6, yet features the same external dimensions thanks primarily to a unique shortened connecting rod design. As a result, this larger-displacement and more powerful engine maintains its excellent low center of gravity. The 3.6 Boxer engine produces 256 horsepower and 247 lb.-ft. of peak torque, compared to 245 hp and 215 lb.-ft. of torque for the previous 3.0-liter engine. Active Valve Control System (AVCS) variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust valves optimizes power delivery across the engines speed range while helping to reduce emissions.
Not only does the 3.6 engine offer greater performance than the previous 3.0-liter unit, but does so using regular-grade fuel compared to premium required in the 3.0. The specially tuned five-speed automatic transmission, combined with the greater torque output of the new engine, helps make the Legacy 3.6R models more responsive when driving in hilly areas by significantly reducing hunting between gears.
Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive A Key To Brand Identity
Subaru offers three different Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive systems in the 2010 Legacy line, each tailored to the engine and type of transmission. In Legacy 2.5i models equipped with the 6-speed manual transmission, the AWD system uses a viscous-coupling locking center differential to distribute power 50/50 front to rear. Slippage at either set of wheels will send more power to the opposite set.
Legacy 2.5i models equipped with the Lineartronic™ CVT use an electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch to actively control power distribution in response to driving conditions.
Legacy 3.6R models exclusively feature advanced Variable Torque Distribution (VTD) All-Wheel Drive with a 5-speed automatic transmission. A planetary center differential works with an electronically controlled continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch to manage power distribution. The VTD system normally sends more power to the rear wheels to enhance handling agility, and it continuously adjusts power distribution in response to driving and road conditions.
The Subaru Safety Story
The Legacy, like all Subaru models, has consistently earned top scores in government and insurance industry crash tests. The 2010 Legacy is designed to further raise the safety quotient. Subarus Ring-Shaped Reinforcement Frame safety structure, proven over a decade in all Subaru models, again forms the foundation for crash protection and occupant safety in the new-generation 2010 Legacy. A new engine cradle design improves front impact safety, and the 2010 Legacy features greater use of high-strength steel.
The 2010 Legacy models include as standard equipment front seat side impact air bags and side curtain air bags that offer additional head protection for front and rear occupants. Intelligent dual-stage deployment front air bags use sensors to detect the presence and weight of a front passenger and also the drivers distance from the steering wheel. The system determines front air bag deployment strength for optimal occupant protection.
New in the 2010 Legacy, high-strength front seat frames provide enhanced protection against whiplash injury in a rear-end collision. With the entire seat optimized for a rear-end collision, Subaru replaced the previous active front head restraints with a more comfortable design.
2010 SUBARU LEGACY PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS
|Vehicle type||5-passenger sport sedan||5-passenger sport sedan||5-passenger sport sedan|
|Engine||SOHC 4-cylinder, horizontally opposed (Boxer); aluminum cylinder block and heads; i-Active Valve Lift System (AVLS)||DOHC 4-cylinder, horizontally opposed (Boxer); aluminum cylinder block and heads; Active Valve Control System (AVCS) variable valve timing, turbocharged/intercooled||DOHC 6-cylinder, horizontally opposed (Boxer); aluminum cylinder block and heads; Active Valve Control System (AVCS) variable valve timing|
|Displacement||2,457 cc (150.0 cu. in.)||2,457 cc (150.0 cu. in.)||3,630 cc (221.5 cu. in.)|
|Horsepower||170 hp @ 5,600 rpm||265 hp @ 5,600 rpm||256 hp @ 6,000 rpm|
|Torque||170 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm||258 lb.-ft. @ 2,000-5,200 rpm||247 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm|
|Fuel requirement||Regular grade, 87 AKI minimum||Premium grade, 91 AKI minimum||Regular grade, 87 AKI minimum|
|Fuel tank||18.5 gal.||18.5 gal.||18.5 gal.|
|Transmission||Std.: 6-speed manual
Opt.: Lineartronic™ CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) includes manual mode and steering wheel paddle shifters; CVT is standard on 2.5i Limited
|6-speed manual||5-speed electronic control automatic with SPORTSHIFT manual mode|
|Symmetrical AWD||With man. trans.: Continuous All-Wheel Drive with viscous-coupling locking center differential
With CVT: Active All-Wheel Drive with electronically managed continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch
|Continuous All-Wheel Drive with viscous-coupling locking center differential||VTD uses a planetary gear-type center differential with electronically controlled continuously variable hydraulic transfer clutch to divide engine power 45:55, adjusting in response to driving conditions|
|Stability control||Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) with electronic traction control (TCS)|
|Chassis||Unitized body construction, Ring Shaped Frame Reinforcement safety structure|
|Suspension||Front: MacPherson-type struts with internal rebound springs, lower L-arms, coil springs and stabilizer bar
Rear: Double wishbone with subframe
|Brakes||Power-assisted 4-wheel disc with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), 4-channel / 4-sensor ABS and Brake Assist|
|Steering||Rack-and-pinion with engine-speed controlled variable power assist|
|Wheels||2.5i: 16-in. steel with full wheel covers
2.5i Premium: 16-in. aluminum alloy
2.5i Limited: 17-in alloy
|18-in. alloy||All: 17-in. aluminum alloy|
2.5i Limited: 215/50R17
Specifications are preliminary and subject to change.
IMAGES FROM THE INTRODUCTION OF THE 2010 LEGACY AT THE 2009 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW