In recognition of its 2009 sales year, Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) shared its success in the form of Celebration Grants. “I think it’s a great way to celebrate Subaru’s record-breaking sales year and give back to the communities that helped make us successful,” said Jim Pernas, director, Subaru Portland zone.
As part of its commitment to the communities in which Subaru employees work and live, SOA gave grants to 20 organizations. “I saw that some organizations were very local, very grassroots, and this grant would make a significant difference to them,” explained Denise Schwartz, e-contact team leader, Subaru Customer/Dealer Services.
Recipients were selected from existing and past relationships whose funds benefit the communities of Subaru offices. Employees voted on which organizations would receive the grants. “There are a lot of regional offices that have specific charities they work with, and for us to be able to award again based on popularity vote is great,” commented Debbie Jeffries, distribution administrator, Subaru Central Region.
Find more information about these organizations in the online exclusive below.
A CELEBRATION OF SUCCESS AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
Organizations that received Celebration Grants:
Albertina Kerr Centers
Located in Portland, Oregon
- Provides a wide range of care and skills training for children and adults with severe developmental disabilities
- Offers 24-hour care in safe, stable group homes for 193 children and adults with developmental disabilities
- Supplies a range of intense psychiatric services for children and counseling for their families
For more information, visit http://albertinakerr.org.
American Red Cross, Camden County Chapter
Located in Pennsauken, New Jersey, serves Camden County
- Provides relief to victims of disasters and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies
- Programs include blood center, disaster services, and CPR/first aid training
For more information, visit http://camdenredcross.org.
Animal Welfare Association (AWA)
Located in Voorhees, New Jersey
- Accepts animals with care and housing provided until a more suitable placement can be found
- Provides low-cost spay and neuter services, pet assisted therapy, and humane education
- Each year, more than 9,500 animals receive care through AWA programs
For more information, visit http://www.awanj.org.
Anna Sample Complex
Located in Camden, New Jersey
- Transitional housing hosts five homeless families and assists women to become self-sufficient
- Safe haven program helps residents address their addiction issues so they can become stable
- Anna M. Sample house gives temporary emergency shelter to 65 residents, accommodating single women and families
For more information, visit http://www.atlanticcity.holiday-inn.com/anna.cfm.
Down Syndrome Indiana
Located in Indianapolis, Indiana, serves central Indiana and the larger Down Syndrome community
- Dedicated to enhancing the lives of individuals with Down syndrome
- Serves as a conduit of information, support, and advocacy, which promotes growth and inclusion in the community
- Programs include buddy walk, outreach programs, parent network, and community groups
For more information, visit http://www.dsindiana.org.
Food Bank of South Jersey
Located in Pennsauken, New Jersey, serves Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Salem counties
- Southwest New Jersey’s largest source of government and non-government food assistance
- Centralized food distribution system ensures that low-income and disadvantaged residents can access groceries
- Food distribution program annually links four million pounds of food with over 200 charitable food providers
For more information, visit http://foodbanksj.org. (Read more about Subaru and the South Jersey Food Bank in Drive Winter 2010 and Summer 2009.)
Friends of Camden Animal Shelter (FOCAS)
Located in Lindenwold, New Jersey
- Formed in 1990 to try to do something about the animal problem in Camden County.
- rescues and welcomes abandoned and unwanted companion animals in a no-kill environment
- Pet Therapy Program brings cats and dogs to people whose health would benefit from the companionship
For more information, visit www.animaladoption.com.
Helping Hand Rescue Mission
Located in Huntington Station, New York
- Provides food, clothing, household items, education, and counseling
- Reaches children that suffer from poverty, and provides families with educational and character-building instruction, food, and supplies
- Provides children’s outreach, pantry, community closet, computer learning center, and back-to-school program
For more information, visit http://hhrm.net.
Higher Ground Youth Challenge
Located in Denver, Colorado, camp located near Estes Park, Colorado
- Provides safe environment for at-risk youth to challenge themselves and their beliefs through mentoring and outdoor experiences
- Incorporates a weeklong, outdoor camp and an ongoing mentoring program
- Reached more than 300 youth to date
For more information, visit http://highergroundyc.org.
Humanitarian Service Project
Located in Carol Stream, Illinois, serves DuPage and Kane counties
- Started with purpose of helping needy families during the Christmas season
- Helps alleviate the pain and suffering of poverty-stricken seniors and children
- Provides Christmas groceries and gifts, delivers seniors monthly food and household products, supports children’s birthdays with toys and party and school supplies, provides needy children and their families with food during summer
For more information, visit http://humanitarianservice.org.
Kingsway Learning Center
Located in Haddonfield and Moorestown, New Jersey
- Special educational school devoted to the academic and therapeutic needs of children with multiple learning and developmental disabilities
- Offers early intervention program, elementary and secondary education program, and therapeutic support
- Community outreach programs allow students to be a visible and integral part of the community
For more information, visit http://kingswaylearningcenter.org.
Located in Bellmawr, New Jersey, serves five counties in South Jersey
- Special education school serving students with a wide range of moderate to severe disabilities
- Offers programs for ages three to 21 at no cost to families
- Focuses on each student’s individual goals and capabilities, allowing success to take flight
For more information, visit http://www.larcschool.org.
Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Prepares more than 70,000 home-delivered meals for individuals and families living with HIV/AIDS, cancer, or other life-threatening illnesses at no charge
- Helps people with a life-threatening illness maintain their independence and live longer, healthier lives
- Dietitians promote wellness through nutrition education and counseling
For more information, visit http://mannapa.org.
National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Greater Delaware Valley
Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, serves Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Philadelphia, and Schuylkill counties in Pennsylvania; Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, and Salem counties in New Jersey
- Only volunteer-led health organization dedicated to the prevention, treatment, alleviation, and cure of multiple sclerosis
- Educates people about how to overcome the disease’s physical, social and financial effects, and customizes services to address individual’s specific needs
- Trains health care professionals to ensure that each patient receives the best, most up-to-date care
For more information, visit http://www.nationalmssociety.org/chapters/PAE/index.aspx.
New Visions Homeless Day Center
Located in Camden, New Jersey
- Provides breakfast and lunch, shower and laundry facilities, food pantry, clothing closet, mail services, and assistance in finding jobs
- Only center in Camden that serves men as well as women and children
- Only day shelter in Camden that provides showers for women
For more information, visit www.lsmnj.org/programs-services/community-outreach-services/new-visions-homeless-day-shelter.
Located in Mableton, Georgia, serves Cobb County and Marietta city school districts
- Places struggling elementary students and underperforming schools on a more successful path through quality reading instruction
- Goals include increasing number of students passing grade-level reading and vocabulary tests
- Offers three programs: weekdays after school, weekends, and summer vacation
For more information, visit http://omosaze.org.
Located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, serves Delaware Valley
- Region’s largest hunger relief organization with network of close to 500 member agencies
- Works to stop food produced in the United States from going to waste while millions of people go hungry
- In 2009, acquired 21 million pounds of food, distributing 17 million pounds across Delaware Valley and exporting four million pounds to assist other area food banks
For more information, visit http://philabundance.org.
Located in Burlington and Ocean counties
- Provides services for victims of domestic abuse and their children free of charge at outreach offices and emergency safe houses
- Offers emergency shelter, 24-hour hotline, counseling, parenting education program and a program designed to assist victims age 50 and older
For more information, visit www.catholiccharitiestrenton.org/index.php?page=Providence-House-Domestic-Violence-Services.
Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey
Located in Camden, New Jersey, serves Southern New Jersey
- Serves as a “home” for over 17,000 families whose children are being treated at nearby hospitals
- Enables over 800 families a year to focus on helping their children heal
- Child-focused facility has playrooms, computer rooms, and video games
For more information, visit http://ronaldhouse-snj.org. (Read more about Subaru and Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey in the article in Drive Summer 2009.)
The Salvation Army, Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center, Meals on Wheels Program
Located in Camden, New Jersey, serves Camden, Burlington, and Gloucester counties
- Opens in late 2010
- Services focus on building character and confidence in underserved communities
- Offers educational classes; day care; lunch programs, and recreational, spiritual, and cultural arts programs
For more information, visit http://www.salvationarmyusa.org or http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/use/www_use_camdenkroc.nsf.